Forums

For every reply or new topic you create you will receive 100 IcePoints!
Gold Accounts also receive 1 IC for their first 5 posts each day. Please click here.
Recode Preview Started by: Locked 34 Replies | 411 Views

• February 22, 2017 02:08
Code Monkey
Today's the day we show off our monthly recode progress, but unfortunately, there won't be any big news updates today. The reason why is because, sadly, I haven't had the time to work on the recode as much as I would have liked. There are a few reasons as to why I haven't been as productive as I should have been.

Valentines Day Top

My Health - Since December 26th, I have had 2 stomach bugs, and 3 colds. Each of these more or less took me out of commission for a week each time, I just found myself exhausted at the end of the work day and needing to get away from my computer and because of that the recode suffered.

Planning a Server Migration - As I'm sure you've noticed, we have had a lot of issues in the past 2 months due to our offloaded mysql server randomly disappearing. Because of that, I have made an agreement with another hosting company, QNEZ, that we will migrate over to a server hosted by them We have done some preliminary tests of the server and the site appears to run a lot smoother and faster.

Maintenance Work - With all of the random downtime, we have missed 2 nightly resets within the last month, which is bad for the overall gameplay. We have now implemented automated logging of all of our scheduled tasks to make issues easier to spot. This is also the cause of the small mystery bugs we had (i.e. too many premium trophies being given, pages not working, etc.). We tried to test prior to launching but sadly missed a few things.

Slack - Cron Jobs

Valentines Day Bottom

I know that the recode has been this big process thrown around a few years ago now, mostly to support larger features like the new battle system, as well as to be on some cutting edge technology. But we really need discussion from you, our loyal members, regarding the recode. We love hearing everyone's support for the progress as well as potential ideas for expanding features and developing new ones.

We want to ask some questions today, instead.

i) How would you feel about more focus being put on the current site, and developing new features to support IcePets through its current status? What are you hoping to get out of the recode? More users on the site? Better site functionality? A polished new look? More features?

ii) We value everyone's input more than we can express! Everyone who comments their thoughts and opinions on this post will receive a random Item from @Read! Thank you so much for continuing to play IcePets, we hope we can continue to develop IcePets into something spectacular!
Valentines Day Bottom

• February 22, 2017 02:18
first, i do hope you @Judda get to feeling better. This is the main thing to me. and as far as IcePets, i see a running smoothly and more features, especially games, being the priority. the current site is wonderful and this is where the focus should lie. as long as the site remains the wonderful community it is...no morph into big business...i and many on here will be extremely happy. feel better! <3<3<3 and i value IcePets, the staff, and @Judda so much, to attempt to put it into words would only diminish. no need to send me anything for this post, honestly!

• February 22, 2017 02:44
Focus on your health! Seriously, that's way more important than a website.

As to what I'd like from a recode: I think you should definitely focus on making the site as stable as it can be before working on expanding it. I would ultimately like new features, though, since the site is pretty bare on activities or places to explore.

Right now, Icepets is mostly shops. I think it would be fun if there were some more areas to just wander around and maybe unlock some fun little easter eggs. Maybe something like a hot spring that boosts your pets' moods once per day, or a fruit tree that feeds all of them, or a cave you can wander and find fun things like cave drawings or the occasional item. Maybe a treasure hunt through a forest that unlocks a "You did it!" type trophy, or a waterfront area where you can watch different kinds of fish. Who knows? :-)

• February 22, 2017 02:51
@Judda I completely agree with Lokki, your health is first and foremost ...*shoves big mug of chicken noodle soup at you and wraps you in fleecie blankies <3

For myself, I'd prefer to see things just small being released like the artwork or the repeating events. I don't need anything huge or different changy like some sort of battle system. It sounds cool, but I'm actually quite happy to wait until your health is better :)

Oh and much of what you mentioned about the server and maintainence went completely over my head, but that explains the trophy announcement I kept getting for having premium! I've no clue what my trophy count is now, but if it was logging me each time, that's too many and I've no idea what the real number is supposed to be because I didn't pay attention. It was like "Oh, there's that announcement again. Maybe it's my browser?" and I'd go run my computer cleaner :L

• February 22, 2017 03:31
Always put your health first, that should be your number one priority.

To answer the questions;

i) I've always been in two minds about the recode. Obviously it has to happen cause then we'll get a battle thing, which can't happen under the current way this site is put together? Something like that anyway. But at the same time I like this site as it is, like I'm used to the layout and where everything is and I will always worry that the recode will be so completely different, and well like 'weird'.

But if that's a way off still that's alright then.

I've just always worried about recodes, cause they've happened on other sites I've played on and well now I don't play on those sites anymore, so that says a lot.

And I like IcePets so its one I want to be continuing with for a long time.

Even if it gets to the point where I'm only online twice a month just to do other users' ice cash requests.

• February 22, 2017 03:44
@Judda

I agree with everyone else, your health is the most important! Prayers for you to get better soon <3

As for the recode, the main things I would like to see are more games (maybe some that don't need flash player), more plots, and the battle arena! I also think that there should be more fun features that you can get free things with daily. The cave thing that AlaraRose mentioned sounds cool, as well as the hotspring. What would also be exciting is more things to personalize your account/profile. Someone mentioned the idea of pet homes and pet treasures and I think those are such adorable ideas!

• February 22, 2017 04:38
Your health is definitely the most important thing :)

I personally like the repeating events, as CoastPony said. I am far more likely to be active during those when I can collect goodies that you can only find at certain times in the year. I don't need super big flashy features.

• February 22, 2017 05:21
personally i kind of like the site how it is, though i do like the idea of some kind of advent prize collector thing. mabye even a part of the games section like the haunted house only different themes per holiday?

• February 22, 2017 05:50
@Judda

I'm all for continuing the recode in its current form, I don't mind waiting for it to be done to get new features. On the other hand if new features could be added while being compatible with Icepets V2 code base, that'd be swell. (although that's probably not that easy)

As for my expectations, I really hope there's special thought put into making the site decently useable on mobile browsers.

From Wikipedia

"Since 27 October 2016, desktop-minority has persisted every day. And smartphones alone have shown majority since 23 December to the end of the year, with the share topping at 58.22% on Christmas day. To the "mobile"-majority share of smartphones, tablets could be added giving a 63.22% majority."

Desktop traffic is increasingly becoming a minority and I don't think that's a trend that's going to be reversed. As time goes by Icepets, will have more of a hard time with attracting new users to the site.

Frequently mobile games get popular just because they're cute and easily accessible. One well known example is Neko Atsume, all you do is put out food so cats visit your house and collect fishes so you can buy things for your house. Another one, (not as popular, but successful nevertheless) is Plant Nanny, you take care of plants while they remind you of drinking enough water everyday.

What I mean is, I feel like Icepets should find a way to strike a balance between those casual mobile gamers and the more active, "hardcore" ones who made most of its current user base.

Posted by Judda

(...) A polished new look? (...)

Definitely! That's one of the things I'm the most excited about, although from what we've seen on the Recode Previews the site looks a bit too Bootstrap-ish, which hopefully is just a temporary thing.

• February 22, 2017 06:21
@Judda, feel better soon. Be strong. Chin up.

I like icepets the way it is, with the events and updates. Sure it could be a little bit smoother, but the downtime and the few little buga dont bother me.

I dont really understand the need for a recode i dont really care for battling my pets. Would only do so for trophies and collectibles.

You have made a lot of progress oj it so far though. So i dont want you to waste all that time.

• February 22, 2017 07:23
As previously mentioned, mobile is a big deal for me. I spend hours of downtime a day just sitting online trying to find ways to kill time on the train/between meetings... what have you. And if I could spend that playing a game that benefits my IP or restocking mobile-friendly, that'd be fantastic.

And I know events are big deals that take time and a lot of effort, maybe one per year that takes a few days/weeks/months to finish? I know we have the dragon statue, but he's been done for a while. I like the holiday stuff and that's usually when I show my face the most. Otherwise, I'm just waiting around curious to see what you guys are up to. C:

• February 22, 2017 08:37
@Judda i fully agree with @Kirsty - i don't understand why people would even want their IcePets to fight.

• February 22, 2017 10:22
How would you feel about more focus being put on the current site, and developing new features to support IcePets through its current status? What are you hoping to get out of the recode? More users on the site? Better site functionality? A polished new look? More features?​​

Honestly i'd like to see some focus on this kind of thing, yes. The site has been in what looks like a starting template for years on my screen. And i think a spiffy new look and layout for the site would be well worth the time and effort for starters to me as one thing. A new look and feel, may even help gather new and/or returning members.

I did notice there was a way to feed your pets without setting them as active. But it's only for feeding them, not reading or playing, or painting/morphing them.

Another thing, i think, after a new look to the site all out, maybe a better way to code profiles and pet profiles so members who like personalizing pages can go in and make their own pages differ from the rest of the site. If his makes any sense.

Maybe some more games fr the site. Simple small things for starters yes. But i feel with there only being a small handful of things you can really do, it doesn't give much room for some player out there to really want to stay with so little to do. other then restock and posting of forums once they have gone through and done al the games we already have right now.

Other then that, really i'd be happy just seeing what you all come up with in the end as is.

• February 22, 2017 11:05
Thank you for the well wishes. It's nothing severe, just 3 colds and 2 stomach bugs since then. I'm on the third cold now and it's lasted over a week and still wakes me up at night in coughing fits.

• February 22, 2017 11:46
Like everyone has mentioned before, your health comes first! No need to rush for the recode.

As for the recode, I would really like to see a new layout of some sort. When I came back from a two-year hiatus, I was surprised to find the site exactly how it was before I left. This is obviously because the recode was not finished yet, but it made me realize how much I would like to see a new look for the site. At least some new header options.

I would also love to see more and new events if possible. Maybe one every few months? Especially during the months without any significant Holidays, I like having something to look forward to.

I'm not completely sure what I would like to see happen with the pets, but I think a little addition to them would be nice. Not a big fan of accessories with all the different pet poses, but maybe something that gives them more individuality and sets them apart from the other pets on the site besides their name.

I've come to dislike my username over the years, so I'm really looking forward to the username changing function in the future with the recode!

• February 22, 2017 12:42
@Judda, I hope you feel better soon. You need to focus on your health now.

As far as your questions go, I think putting more focus on the current site should be the way to proceed. You have brought IcePets a long way since you have been here! I am amazed at the progress you have been making.

I think having more games would be great, as well as some more little things to do on the site, such as cute little things to get. I love this idea, whoever mentioned it first.

As far as the recode, I know it will improve the function of the site. But like someone else said, I hope it doesn't change IcePets too much!! I love it the way it is now!

• February 22, 2017 13:58
@Judda @Fenix brings up very valid points about mobile use becoming the way of the future. As a 'desktop minority' I tend to forget about the fact many users love to pop on and look around the site. It will be limited.

IcePets themselves are very cute after the many redraws and I think would lend themselves well to simple games that could be adapted. *points to the adorable Evil Zabeu and Love Wulfer...

Kawaii is a big deal, so the 'cute' appeal' will help. The second is probably the linger affect, so something small but easily doable with a mobile phone like putting out food for the kitties. Perhaps something that adds interaction?

I'm thinking maybe take Wulfers since they are cute, and a lot of people like dogs/wolves (big demographic) Perhaps have a game where you play with them? Like throw a ball for fetch or a click thing to teach them basics like Sit, Down, heel??

Ridix are cute versions of kitties, so possibly take your Ridix fishing?? Zabeus possibly a game of groom the Zabeu??

I'm just throwing out ideas. The best thing would be to create a survey or gather feedback from users on here who do have mobile phones and do love to play games on them. Ask which are the favorites, and see if there is an angle or a way to take IcePets and fit them into a mobile friendly game.

I actually like the coding for our pets and profiles as is. While I appreciate others enjoy the ability to code and make it all look like nothing on IcePets, I don't. I like that we do have leeway, but the overall framework still helps me feel like I'm IN IcePets. I've been on other pet sites where they allowed the users to have so much free rein and it makes the site lose the feel of being it's own site.

I'm of two minds when it comes to the artwork. I love our Terrafrost map as is, partly because as @SpunkiSpirou says, I know where everything is, it's all familiar, I know where to click on the map to navigate, and a part of me actually likes the old artwork.

The other mind looks at the old artwork and thinks, even if they could just update and use the same exact layout, but redraw it that might give a fresh coat of paint for the whole site? You do need to put your best foot forward.

The landing page/home page looks very decent, I especially love that it shows the latest and newest items. Although I do like the changing pics for the Arcade games, maybe do the changing pics, but dial through the species of pets available on here?

The artwork is amazing on here! <3 you've got some very talented artists and the new redraws have been helping refresh and update the species and they look WONDERFUL! Maybe just create a couple changing images that show basic available pets? Dabus, Wulfers, Ridix, Sharshel, etc.

You might leave Jakrits, Xephyrs and Zabeus off those tiles, though. While it gave me the drive to do the plot to get my Zabeu, when I joined I did dither over staying because I wanted a Zabeu. Other pet sites I play, their versions are 'free'. Same with Jakrits and Xephyrs, they are adorable, but they do involve more work. I value having a pet that is a little harder to obtain, but it can be highly discouraging when you've just joined.

• February 22, 2017 14:38
I agree with an earlier post that the recode creates mixed feelings. I really enjoy IcePets as it is, and I'm excited to see any improvements which make the site even more enjoyable. On the other hand though, I've never been a huge fan of change so I think that any drastic changes to the layout or function of the site would cause me to visit less.

I'd much rather IcePets stayed as it is with some more content, rather than a complete overhaul. I sometimes find that once I've maxed out my games and quests that I run out of things to do (although this is probably beneficial irl haha) Some new places to visit in Terrafrost would be great.

I particularly like quests and wish there were more things like the dragon quests to complete. Maybe some mini-quests (like when creating a Zabeu) with different prizes. Maybe some are quick, maybe some take ages... Gotta love those long term goals :D

Another comment above that I agree with mentions mobile users - Having features that worked well on mobile could help bring more people to the community, and I'd happily spend my traveling time doing something that would help me towards any goals I might have :)

• February 22, 2017 17:31
I am a little 50/50 on the recode. I am super anxious to see the end result because that means a chance at new games and features. At the same time, I want to see new items and new events sooner than the recode.

@Judda

Your health is so much more important than a recode. When the recode was announced, I didn't even know there was anything wrong with the site so a little more time is worth it if it means you are taking care of yourself.

• February 22, 2017 17:35
@Judda I'm in agreement with everyone else right now in that your health comes first and foremost. Get well soon ;)

That said, I'm really looking forward to a smooth running site. I, like others I would imagine, am put off from working too hard when there are slow, glitching and freezing pages. Understandably the server problems have added weight to this so fingers crossed for a clean transition [yes]

I hope the homely community spirit remains the same and the help and gratitude continue as is :) This is a site with an outstsanding atmosphere compared to any other site I've played. Long may it continue.

Features: May be a few more games would help to keep the community more active. Also I like the ideas that @AlaraRose put forward.

So really what I'm wanting is IcePets to continue in the same vain but smoother :D

• February 22, 2017 18:55
A persons health is the most important thing on earth, so that's a priority. Get well soon.
I've been hearing things about the recode for years now, and little has changed, so I won't hold my breath on that one. I do hope that the events throughout the year stay, and hopefully there something can be done about the flashplayer, so I can play on mobile devices.

• February 22, 2017 19:17
@Judda

As everyone else has said, hope your health is ok and thats more important than anything else!!

Also I personally don't care about a recode but I would like to see more site events and such as I enjoy those I would also like to see mobile functionality though as alot of the time I am on icepets on my phone and its quite difficult at the moment to navigate and ofcourse can't do things that require flash etc

• February 22, 2017 19:25
Sending support and love for a better healthier time for you soon <3

As for recode or changes, I'm not honestly sure what all goes into it or what's involved, but personally I'd like to see a friendlier more accessible site layout and definitely more involved events! Also would love more features to help earn more points, because as a user that hasn't been on here that long, these are the things I've been thinking of while on here playing.

I will say that I love the pets and the colors for the pets and there have been some lovely people who I've made contact with on here <3

• February 22, 2017 20:49
@Judda

I hope u'll feel beta soon!! <3 ;)

• February 22, 2017 20:58
I believe I've sent everyone a random Item so far, thank you all so much for your thoughts and opinions!