Forums

For every reply or new topic you create you will receive 100 IcePoints!
Gold Accounts also receive 1 IC for their first 5 posts each day. Please click here.
Back To Basics Started by: 27 Replies | 198 Views

• November 4, 2019 18:28

The rumours are true! The rainy October weather managed to catch some drafts from the peaks of Snowslide Mountains, where Snow Jar Snows are harvested. The magic crystals mixed on the air, melted in the rain, and fell all over Terrafrost. The Colours have been mixed and shaded just enough that all Basic Pet Colours have a new look!

Red WulferOrange Krittle

This affects a lot down the line, as you may imagine. Many Items around the site include the Basic Colours, from Plushies to Avatars! Updates to these Items will be rolled out gradually over time, so keep an eye out, and don't worry if you notice some Items mismatching for now.

Yellow OriGreen Cobron

If you're having trouble viewing the updated artwork try a hard refresh using Ctrl-F5 or Fn-F5 on the Pet Viewing page!

Blue TridoPurple Jakrit

As always, if you wish to view old IcePets artwork you can do so at our archive; it is a wonderful place to see how IcePets has changed over the years!

• November 4, 2019 18:32
I love the new fresh look! Cannot wait to see some of the other updates in store :)

I adore all the changes made in color and some of the styles (Jakrits are a top 3 now! Third to Wulfers and Lugras). The Green and Yellow changes not to mention CottonCandy...

I do believe I need some new friends now :p

• November 4, 2019 18:39
They look great, I'm an especially big fan of the update for CottonCandy! Especially since I plan to collect every pet in that color soon. Thank you for these. ´・ᴗ・`

• November 4, 2019 18:57
Overall a bit disappointed by these changes. :S I don't mean this rudely to the artist(s) at all, my apologies if any of this sounds targeted in any way.

I think a few of the changes were great, like having Cottoncandy pets be more pale and fitting to their name.
And deciding on a specific turquoise colour for Turquoise pets.
I'm also glad the Zabeu got a revamp, as it needed some touchups desperately, but its chest being so low to the ground makes it look even more stumpy. I was hoping it would end up more like the Pirate Zabeu which looks like it has longer legs.

But a lot of the redraws were strange.
The Sharshel's teeth being so massive and goofy compared to all other Sharshels is a really bad choice to me.
You can also no longer see the shape of its tail in the basic pose, while in the previous one you could see where it curved inward.
The Jakrit's paw change is weird as well, since it doesn't really fit a lot of the other newer Jakrits that have been released.
Jakrits are also fully sitting down now so you can't see their tail any more, which was a really cute touch before.

On a purely personal note, I'm sad the Orange pets have blue eyes. The Purple pets having green eyes and the Pink pets having purple eyes doesn't stand out nearly as much as the Orange pets having the light blue eyes. I'll miss the orange-eyed, bright cream belly of the old Orange Dabu.

=========

I'm wondering why the change from the iconic cream eyes? Sooooooooo many non-basic colours have them, are they going to be updated as well? If not this change is strange in my opinion since more pets have them than not.

Overall with so many avatars, stamps, ice cubes, and plushies needing a revamp now I can't help but wonder why this was done. I hope all of the other revamps are coming out soon and this isn't a change that is really slow to be released and gets lost down the line.

• November 4, 2019 19:08
I really like the new shades of blue and turquoise. Even basic snow jars will look better when they are updated. Lovely.

• November 4, 2019 20:02
@Read

Thank you for the detailed feedback! I'll try to address some of the points you've brought up here :)

The Sharshel's teeth were enlarged slightly due to the previous iteration appearing strangely small and muddled (as can be seen on our current Christmas Sharshel and 60s Sharshel). We no longer wanted to stick with the very tiny teeth, but the size is something we'll definitely keep in mind moving forward.

The changes to the Jakrit were to allow the basic pet pose to make more sense, anatomy-wise. The lifted legs pose the old Jakrit had was improbable and looked rather odd for us, while the paws were made more three-dimensional to make it more life-like.

The cream eyes were also changed to pure white because we felt the cream eyes clashed badly and looked odd with many existing colours, while a white is a more neutral ground to work with. We will be going back and updating the older pet eyes, while any pet eyes moving forward wil also be white.

The basic colour changes were something we have planned for a long time and it has been in the works for months as of now, long before the notice of the site sale and before recent staff changes. This is just the start of several updates that we have been working on, we've compiled all existing artwork on site using old colours and will definitely be rolling out these changes in the following months.

You may have even noticed that some of the newer artwork on site already uses the new basic colours, such as the artwork for Sally Searcher and the new Beauty King!
Overall, the basic pet colour changes were something that allowed us to continue giving the site new content, without heavy reliance on a programmer. I understand that these changes are very big, but we feel it was a necessary change and hope that the coming updates to other site artwork will help ease any doubts.
We are always open to feedback to keep in mind for future updates!

• November 4, 2019 20:23
Oh my goodness, look at these cuties! Love these changes. ^8^

• November 4, 2019 23:36
YAY! I'm so glad you guys released these! I love them so much! <3

• November 5, 2019 03:41
These changes are nice to see. Now there is some uniform to the colours.

• November 5, 2019 07:56

Oh my god, look at this colour!! <3

• November 5, 2019 11:13
The underbellies of some of them are too washed out to differentiate shading making it appear flat (e.g. Cottoncandy Cobron - particularly jarring with the lack of darker pink all other species have), but otherwise it's a nice look.

p.s. what was the reasoning for adopting darker/more washed out basic colour schemes?

• November 5, 2019 11:42
A little reminder for anyone who is curious to compare old artwork versus new, you can always visit www.archive.icepets.com to see archived work!

• November 5, 2019 15:10
The new turquoise is to die for, and I've been so excited to see it release ever since I first set eyes on it <3_<3

• November 5, 2019 22:35
I do have to agree with Read on these changes :#

But also like they said, it's not meant to be in hurtful way, just seeing them changed makes me kinda sad. The direction taken in their designs probably wasn't for the better in my opinion, but mainly just for the Sharshel and the Zabeu (for example, teeth most obviously for the Sharshel, legs and cartoony dimensions of mane vs head for the Zabeu).

That being said, I do like the new Ori! They also seem softer overall, which is also nice. I'm glad you guys still roll out so many updates :) I tend to enjoy them all, just this one I felt the need to comment on.

• November 6, 2019 17:41
I'm not really sold on the Turquoise, as it looks more just a green now than anything different from green. But the other colors look nice.

• November 7, 2019 04:16
It's been quite a while since I've visited!
These are some cute changes. The new colour palettes are a wild sight. Give my kudos to the one who tweaked Cotton Candy; it's such a bright, fun colour now. :D

(also there's a teensy amount of colour bleed between the legs of the Jakrit, better isible on dark backgrounds, in case you missed it!)

• November 7, 2019 18:39
@Skeleton

Thank you for the notice, we've fixed the colour bleeding on the Jakrit! A hard refresh (Ctrl+f5 or Ctrl+fn) is needed to view them, but they should be nice and clean now :)

• November 8, 2019 14:40

I really love the new colors, they're very easy on my eyes. I do have a quick question (not a complaint) why do some colors have different eyes colors compared to their base while others (blue, red, yellow) have same color eyes as the base? I like when the eyes stand out. Regardless, the new red is *beautiful*

• November 8, 2019 16:18
@Rayquaza

The ones with the same colour eyes are the four "default" Basic colours, which are immediatly available to new players and used around the site, so we felt it was more appropriate for their eyes to stay consistent with the body.
The others were given contrasing eye colours because while they are still considered basic colours, they are slightly more unique than the defaults and were given contrasing eyes to help accentuate that point :)

• November 9, 2019 18:28
Progress is progress and changes will always happen. But progress isn't always a terrific move forward and changes aren't always good. >_<

• November 14, 2019 04:12
I think everything looks amazing! <3

• November 15, 2019 08:13

@mochihugs
That's a fair answer, thanks for replying!

• November 27, 2019 13:01
When I visit the archive site it asks for a username and password?

• November 28, 2019 11:15
@SpunkiSpirou This is still in the process of being set up since the move. Thank you for mentioning it! Should be all set now :)

• November 28, 2019 11:21
I have to say that I love the way my cottoncandy dabu looks like <3 :)